About The Exercise
EZ bar curls are a great exercise to build up the biceps providing that the movement is executed with strict form. Avoid arching the lower back and throwing the shoulders forward in an effort to create momentum for assistance. Curl bar exercises – in most cases – place less stress on the wrists than the barbell version, which in the case of bicep curls, makes it a much better choice.
- Select the appropriate grip. As you’ll see below, your grip width will vary depending on which area of the biceps you wish to target. You’ll most likely want to select a grip width that has your palms just outside your hips while your arms are extended
- While holding the bar, spread the chest, bend the knees slightly and position your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Exhale and flex the arms until your hands come within 5 inches of your shoulder
- Inhale and lower the bar back down to starting position in a controlled fashion.
- Repeat until the desired number of repetitions are completed.
You can alter muscle recruitment adjusting your hand position. By taking a narrow grip, you can specifically target the outer head of the biceps.
By using a wider than shoulder-width grip, you can specifically target the inner head of the biceps.